Several of the topics taught throughout this course may be developed further at university level, meaning that the A level course provides excellent preparation for those pupils who wish to study a maths-based subject at university.

The study of maths pairs incredibly well with sciences at A level meaning those with a keen interest in the latter may wish to also study maths. Although people may think the subject to be niche and limited to those wishing to pursue careers solely within the mathematics/scientific industry, it will actually equip students with widely transferrable skills thus opening countless doors both in higher education and future careers. Jobs within medicine, scientific research and even the planning or creation of buildings require people with a strong mathematical skill and good confidence in their mathematical ability.

Why study mathematics?

The course provides pupils with the opportunity to further develop their knowledge and understanding of many of the topics taught at Key stages 3 and 4, as well as introducing several new topics which are exclusive to Key Stage 5. Students wishing to undertake degrees in mathematics or related fields will greatly benefit from taking this course.


A level Maths

Awarding body


Entry requirements

Pass in English, 5 or more grades at 5+ (this can include English and maths), grade 6 or higher in maths.

Course content

There are three strands to A Level Maths:

Pure Maths – focusing on the algebraic manipulation of expressions, equations and graphs.

Statistics – focusing on the manipulation and presentation of data

Mechanics – this closely links to A Level Physics, where students will look at models of displacement, velocity and acceleration as well as the forces which act upon an object.

Year 12

Students will initially build upon their knowledge from their Key Stage 4 studies by applying mainly algebraic techniques to solve more complex problems. The concept of Calculus will be formally introduced for the first time in the Differentiation and Integration units and, as the year continues, students will be introduced to more Statistical and Mechanical processes, where they will be required to apply many of the algebraic techniques taught in the Pure Mathematics units. The necessity to structure answers clearly with the required evidence of calculation continues from Key Stage 4 and this is essential in the development of students at Key stage 5.

Year 13

Students continue their studies through the curriculum and build upon the knowledge and skills in topics from previous years. Many of the topics covered in Year 13 are a further development of Year 12, with the focus moving to the application specific strategies to solve more challenging problems in areas such as Calculus and Trigonometry.


Students are assessed entirely through externally assessed examinations at the end of the course by 3 different examinations. Those who have studied A Level Maths will be required to sit 2 x Pure Mathematics examinations which, in total, will equate to 67% of their final grade. The strands; Statistics and Mechanics are combined to make up the remaining 33% gained through another examination. Each exam will last for 2 hours.

Although A level maths can be tough, I love learning new skills such as differentiation.
Year 13 student