Studying A level history not only helps improve students' knowledge of the past but also helps to develop skills that are invaluable in many jobs. Some of the skills include analysing, researching, better communication and problem-solving. Students will learn how to prioritise information and learn how to make vital decisions, helping to build an important skills’ set necessary for progression into university or a career.

Learning outcomes 

The aims and objectives of A’Level History are designed to enable students to: 

● develop their interest in and enthusiasm for history and an understanding of its intrinsic value and significance 

● acquire an understanding of different identities within society and an appreciation of aspects such as social, cultural, religious and ethnic diversity, as appropriate 

● build on their understanding of the past through experiencing a broad and balanced course of study 

● improve as effective and independent learners, and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds 

● develop the ability to ask relevant and significant questions about the past and to research them 

● acquire an understanding of the nature of historical study, for example that history is concerned with judgements based on available evidence and that historical judgements are provisional 

● develop their use and understanding of historical terms, concepts and skills 

● make links and draw comparisons within and/or across different periods and aspects of the past; and 

● organise and communicate their historical knowledge and understanding in different ways, arguing a case and reaching substantiated judgements.



A level History

Awarding body


Entry requirements

Pass in English and maths, 5 or more grades at 5+ (this can include English and maths), grade 6 in two writing-based subjects such as English, History or RS.

Year 12

  • Bedlington: The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603–1660 (Enquiry topic: The Execution of Charles I and the Interregnum 1646–1660)
  • Ashington: The Cold War in Europe 1941–1995

Year 13

  • Civil Rights in the USA 1865–1992
  • Topic based essay of 3000-4000 words


A level History is assessed through three written examination papers taken at the end of the course of study and a piece of coursework. Each paper is externally assessed whilst the coursework is internally assessed and then sent for moderation by the exam board.  The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603–1660 (Enquiry topic: The Execution of Charles I and the Interregnum 1646–1660) is worth 25% of the overall mark.  The Cold War in Europe 1941–1995 is worth 15% of the overall mark.  Civil Rights in the USA 1865–1992 is worth 40% of the overall mark and the topic based essay accounts for 20%.


There is good variety in the topics I have studied and I have learned a lot about Britain and the rest of the world, which has helped me understand what is happening today and sparked an interest in politics. I have enjoyed history so much that I have applied to study it at university.
Year 13 student